Profile of Sri Lanka Parliamentarians Forum for Evaluation
Sri Lanka Parliamentarians Forum for Evaluation” also launched on 7th October 2016 at the parliament. The launch was organized by the Parliamentarians Forum for Development Evaluation – South Asia (PFDE) together with Department of Project Management and Monitoring (DPMM), Ministry of National Policies and Economic Development and Ministry of Public Enterprise Development. Parliamentarians from various parties attended the meeting and emphasized the need for evaluation culture in the country. Minister Hon. Kabir Hashim and State Minister Niroshan Perera chaired the meeting and also spoke about importance of evaluation. Mr. V. Sivagnanasothy, Secretary – Ministry of Prison Reforms, Rehabilitation, Resettlement and Hindu Religious Affairs, gave introduction to evaluation. Mrs. Drashana Senanayake, Director General – DPMM, presented the key findings of the National Evaluation Plan. The parliamentarians suggested for a “parliamentary committee on evaluation”. This was a historical event held at the Sri Lanka parliament as the “Sri Lanka Parliamentarians Forum for Evaluation” also launched at the event. Hon. Ananda Kumarasiri, Member of Parliament was appointed as the Chair of the forum.
The goal of the Forum is to advance enabling environment for nationally owned, transparent, systematic and standard development evaluation process in line with National Evaluation Policy at country level which ensures aid effectiveness, achievement of results and sustainability of development.
- To establish evaluation as a foundation of good governance, and a pre- requisite for decision making in the pursuit of sustainable and equitable development.
- To support the creation of enabling national policy and legislative
environments for the production and use of robust evaluation evidence.
- To support parliamentarians to influence national evaluation system through creation of enabling policies and legislative frameworks.
- To position evaluation as a strategic pillar of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in which “no one is left behind”.
- To strengthen the capacity of the parliament and parliamentarians to source and use evaluations for oversight of development programs.